Town Litovel

Czech Republic

Sokolovna
Smírčí kříž
První hokejisté
Předvánoční náměstí
Rekonstrukce náměstí 2014
Paraplíčko
Socha T.  G.  Masaryka
Zimní GJO
Rybník
T.  G. Masaryk
« »

The Royal Town of Litovel

Town hall with the tower

The royal town of Litovel is situated in the centre of the north-western part of the Haná region, in the valley of the Morava River whose six branches flow through the town, approximately 20 km away from Olomouc. These branches provide the town with a unique impression. Litovel is known as “Venice of Haná”. The historical part of the town is lined by the former city walls; there is a regular street network with a central square.

Peaceful periods of Litovel’s history left us many sights. The Church of St. Phillip and Jacob in the Old Town, Church of St. Mark, Chapel of St. George, St. John’s Bridge (the oldest stone bridge in Moravia and the 3rd oldest one in the country), many burgess-houses in the Renaissance and Baroque style.

The real grace of the town is the town hall with the tower. Below the town hall flows one of the branches of the river Morava called the Nečíz. The building used to be a reeve’s seat, then a mansion and since the middle of the 16th century it has been a town hall. The building has been rebuilt many times.

The tower is the highest tower in Moravia, it is 65 m and it has a beautiful view ofthe countryside. If the weather is good you can see the Jeseníky Mountains or the Church of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary on Svatý Kopeček, etc.

, an image opens in a new windowOn the square of the Přemysl Otakar there is a plague column made by Václav Render who also made the Holy Trinity Column in Olomouc, which is listed in Unesco World Heritage. The column features seven statues of plaque patrons. (The plague hit Litovel 3 times, twice in 16th century and then in 18th century.)

, an image opens in a new windowAll around the square there are Burgess Houses. Burgess houses are evidence of the rich history. On the northern side of the square of the Přemysl Otakar there is Lang’s house with a beautiful renaissance portal and Baroque facade. There used to be a pharmacy and popular café there, the building is not used nowadays.

Right next to Lang’s House there is the Farmer’s Loan Office (Hotel Záložna) which was built in early 17th century. Originally there were two buildings, one was a restaurant and a hotel and the other one was a bank. The building was reconstructed at the end of 19th century and on the first floor there were two saloons (halls) with stages. In early 20th century the building was reconstructed again in a Secession Style.

Nowadays, in the left part of the building where there used to be a bank, there is the tourist information centre on the right there is the newly reconstructed restaurant.

T, an image opens in a new windowown Club (House at the Golden Deer), this Secession building is now used for expositions and concerts, but in the past it was an inn which was called House of the Golden Deer, the name is not used now.

Socha’s Villa – built in 1910 and decorated with a 300 years old Renaissance portal. It used to be a museum but now it is used as a police office.

Church Husův sbor, built at the end of 19th century.

Memorial of the tornado, in 2004 tornado hit Litovel and damaged many buildings.

, an image opens in a new window , an image opens in a new window, an image opens in a new window

One of the most beautiful buildings in Litovel is the Gymnázium of Jan Opletal, it’s a grammar school built in 1901 and is in Neorenaissance style. The mosaics on the facade of the building show the history of the town. In front of the building there is a statue of Tomáš G. Masaryk, who was the 1st president of Czechoslovakia, and Jan Opletal, a graduate of this grammar school and victim of anti-German students' demonstrations in Prague in October in 1939.

On the left si, an image opens in a new windowde next to the school there is a Sokol house, which is a sport facility. In front of the building there is a statue of Gustav Frištenský  who lived here.

The Swedish plaque from the 17th century depicts theplundering of the town by Swedish armies. Stone walls  are the oldest sights; they were built at the beginning of 14th century.

Museum of Litovel,in the middle of the 19th century the building was a centre of social life. In 1906 the Town Museum was transferred here. After the last reconstruction in the beginning of the 21st century on the ground floor a large restaurant was opened, and on the first floor a museum that is showing new collections. At present there is a permanent exhibition of local crafts from the first half of the 20th century.

Library (the house cloth guild), this building used to be a hospital for the princely servants, and since 1998 it has been used as a library.

, an image opens in a new window  , an image opens in a new window , an image opens in a new window   , an image opens in a new window, an image opens in a new window

Šerhovní street, there used to be a prison at the end of this street.

St. George´s Chapel, small enchanting late Gothic chapel from the 15th century, it is considered to be the pride of the town. It was built by the Vlaším’s for believers who worship two religions. At the end of the 1980s they made a new modern glass mosaics in the windows.

St. Mark’s Church, originally Gothic church built inside the city walls, the first record of it dates back to 1342. Before it was rebuilt to its current state it went through many reconstructions. It was damaged by a big flood in 1997 and a tornado in 2004. Above the southern entrance there is a beautiful alliance liechtenstein-ditrichstein coat-of-arms and on the door of the western entrance there is a metal sepulchral measure. The interior is rather poor for a catholic church, the most impressive thing is an altar with Baroque sculptures.

Church of St. Phillip and Jacob, probably the oldest church in Litovel that towers above the town. It is situated close to the ancient settlement outside the city walls. The first record of the church dates back to 1342 and after the thirty-year war it was significantly rebuilt. In the second half of the 20th century some small sacral buildings were transferred into a little park surrounding the church.

, an image opens in a new window, an image opens in a new window , an image opens in a new window , an image opens in a new window

, an image opens in a new windowSt. John’s bridge, it is the oldest stone bridge in Moravia and the third oldest in the Czech Republic. It stands on 6 pillars and in the middle of the bridge is a statue of St. Jan Nepomucký designed by Jan Sturmer. The quality of the construction is demonstrated by the fact that it has survived all floods that affected Litovel. At the end of the 20th century it was reconstructed and started to look similar to how it looks today. It is one of the most beautiful constructions in the town.


Litovel Brewery, when we say Litovel most people recall the brewery and the high quality of itsbeer. It is made using a traditional technology withtop quality domestic, an image opens in a new window raw materials and last but not least the enthusiasm and skills of all the brewery employees. The right of brewing beer was granted to Litovel by king Václav II in 1291.

The brewery brews beer in a traditional way, therefore its beer has a unique and highly recognisable character. It is mainly made by ‘brewing of several degrees’, cold fermentation and long ripening.

The beer is not tinted, diluted or saturated.

The brewery organizes excursions into the production plant combined with a beer tasting. The brewery also organises an annual event which is Festival of the brewery, held every year in August. People may try various beers which are not normally sold during the year.

The first museum of accordions, it’s a private collection of 230 instruments which is the biggest collection of harmonicas in the Central Europe.

Hydro-electrical power station, as a part of the regulation of the river Morava in the 1930s a town hydro-electrical power station was built. It is a functioning building around which the Morava River flows. It is situated in a park close to the Church of St. Marek.

Kolář’s Villa was built in 1923, Dr. Kolář was the owner of this building, and nowadays there are offices for various companies.

Gustav Frištenský’s Villa, Mr Frištenský was a Czech strongman and Greco-Roman wrestler. During his career, he won almost 10,000 fights, the first one when he was just 19 years old and the last one when he was 72. He is considered the strongest Czech and a legendary symbol of strength for many Czechs. He lived in Litovel for several years and also died here.

, an image opens in a new window , an image opens in a new window , an image opens in a new window , an image opens in a new window
16.3.2015 9:17:00 | read 3574x | pavel.zenozicka
 
Geoportal
Litovel - Hanácké Benátky

The municipal authority Litovel

nám. Přemysla Otakara 778
784 01 Litovel
Czech Republic

phone: +420 585 153 111
fax: +420 585 342 198
e-mail: sekretariat@mestolitovel.cz

 
Mikroregion Litovelsko Olomoucký kraj Městský klub Litovel Muzeum Litovel Městská knihovna Litovel Technické služby Litovel
 
Webmaster   |   RSS   |     |   Public4u © 2000-2021
load